With hibiscus flowers, strawberries and passionfruit
Issue 01 | Summer 2018-19
6 egg whites
1 ¼ cups castor sugar
3 tablespoons of white sugar (for cinnamon sugar)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
250ml cream, whipped
1 punnet of strawberries, diced
½ cup wild hibiscus flowers in syrup (chop the flowers and place back in syrup)
To serve: extra strawberries and fresh passionfruit pulp (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add castor sugar, beating until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar dissolved.
3. Line flat oven tray with glad bake and spread meringue into rectangle approx. 1 inch thick .
4. Sprinkle the top with white sugar and cinnamon.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy on top. Take out to cool.
6. Place large piece of foil onto your bench and flip the meringue over onto the foil with the cinnamon sugar side face down.
7. Spread with whipped cream, passionfruit and strawberries. Using the foil roll the meringue into a log.
8. Place into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
9. To serve, slice and drizzle with hibiscus flowers in syrup, extra strawberries and passionfruit.
Note: Keep refrigerated until serving (especially in the warmer months).